There are several reasons why you are going to Love and enjoy these scalloped sweet potatoes. First, there is no dairy involved and second they are topped with Hemp Hearts , which gives the potatoes a nutty taste. The hemp hearts are mixed with Parmesan cheese toward the end of the cooking time. I am telling you these sweet potatoes are out of this world GOOOOD.
What are Hemp Hearts? Hemp hearts are raw, shelled hemp seeds, which are soft, nutty, and great in oatmeal, shakes, or used in baking. The hemp hearts are high in protein, high in omega 3 fats (more than fish), and they are great if you can’t eat gluten, sugar, dairy or nuts. Whole Foods carries these Manitoba Harvest brand. For the topping of the sweet potatoes, I combined hemp hearts, Parmesan cheese, and fresh marjoram.
I used a large sweet potato that was approximately one pound. I peeled the skin off the sweet potato and used a mandolin slicer to get the same size slices. In a small bowl, mix sliced potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. I layered the bottom of a medium-size pan by over lapping the slices, filling the middle, and continued with two more layers until I didn’t have any more potato. I placed the pan on the stove over medium-high heat. I added ¾ cup of low sodium chicken stock ensuring that at least two-thirds of the potatoes were covered in liquid. As the broth started to simmer, I covered the pan with aluminum foil and baked the potatoes for 20 minutes. I removed the foil, topped with hemp hearts, Parmesan cheese, and fresh marjoram. Returned to the oven and continued to bake until hemp hearts and cheese were golden about 20-25 minutes.
A great side dish to complement chicken, fish, or steak. Serve warm.
Enjoy, from my kitchen to yours.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 2 mm thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- ¾ cup unsalted chicken stock or low sodium vegetable stock
- 7 Tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh marjoram or thyme, minced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a bowl, combine potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper toss until well seasoned.
- Using a medium-size pan, begin to layer the potatoes, overlapping a little. Continue with as many layers as you need until all off the sweet potato is used. Over medium-high heat, pour stock and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or when potatoes are tender when a knife is inserted in the middle.
- In a small bowl, combine hemp hearts, cheese, and marjoram. Toss to combine well.
- Remove aluminum foil, top entire pan with hemp hearts mixture and return back to the oven. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until hearts and Parmesan cheese begin to turn a golden color. Allow the potatoes to rest for about 5 minute before slicing.